April 4, 2014
By Barry Schiff
1. What World War II training aircraft made its maiden flight on the same date—May 15, 1939—that AOPA was founded?
2. Which of the following does not belong?
a. wind shift
b. pressure change
c. temperature change
d. precipitation change
3. True or False? The world’s first jet-powered flight occurred in 1939, the year in which AOPA was founded.
4. Why is it that altimeter errors are greatest when flying over mountainous terrain?
5. Which one of the following airplanes received its type certificate from the Civil Aeronautics Authority on May 20, 1939, only five days after AOPA was founded?
a. Boeing 314 Clipper
b. ERCO Ercoupe
c. Piper Cub Coupe
d. Stinson Voyager
6. True or False: The tires of high-speed airplanes are inflated with helium.
7. From reader James Robinson: What was the most popular (most produced) piston engine ever manufactured for aviation use?
8. AOPA’s birth date, May 15, 1939, first began
a. immediately east of the International Date Line.
b. immediately east of the Greenwich Meridian.
c. immediately west of the International Date Line.
1. The Fairchild PT–19 Cornell, a low-wing, open-cockpit primary trainer used by the U.S. Army Air Corps.
2. d. The other conditions indicate a frontal passage. There is little or no precipitation associated with dry fronts.
3. True. The German Heinkel He 178 first flew on August 27, 1939, five days before the beginning of World War II.
4. Wind flowing over and around mountains results in a Venturi effect, much like air flowing over a wing. This causes wind speed to increase and (static) pressure to decrease. This can result in indicated altitude being significantly greater than true altitude, a dangerous error.
5 d. The Boeing, the Cub Coupe, and the Ercoupe received their type certificates on January 25, 1939; March 16, 1939; and March 25, 1940, respectively.
6. False. They are inflated with nitrogen, which does not support combustion that can result from excessively hot tires and brakes.
7. Pratt & Whitney built 173,618 Twin Wasp R-1830 engines. The two-row, 14-cylinder radial engine was used on the Consolidated B–24 Liberator, the Douglas DC–3, the Grumman F4F Wildcat, the Consolidated PBY Catalina, and many others.
8. c. This means that Guam is always the first place in America to celebrate AOPA’s birthday.
Illustration by John Holm
Aircraft Power and Fuel,
Wind and Gusts,
Safety and Education
The FAA encourages pilots to do a number of things in order to increase safety, but does not require them. Check out these three actions that are recommended.
Among the very first lessons a pilot learns is that a control yoke is not a steering wheel. Research underway in Europe could change that.
AOPA President Mark Baker and AOPA Foundation Executive Director Jim Minow are challenging one another to see who can recruit the most Hat in the Ring Society members for the foundation before the end of the year.
VOLUNTEER AT AN AOPA FLY-IN NEAR YOU!
SHARE YOUR PASSION. VOLUNTEER AT AN AOPA FLY-IN. CLICK TO LEARN MORE >>>
VOLUNTEER LOCALLY AT AOPA FLY-IN! CLICK TO LEARN MORE >>>
BE A PART OF THE FLY-IN VOLUNTEER CREW! CLICK TO LEARN MORE >>>