Weight & Balance apps
This week we’re taking a look at apps that help with weight and balance. Those who submitted the apps below felt very strongly about their effectiveness. These are not endorsements of any app.
- WnB Pro ($4.99)—Members say this app does one thing, and one thing well: set up and save the information for any aircraft so you can do weight and balance calculations fast. So if you need a calculation and you need it fast, this app is the way to go.
- Weight & Balance By NextGenSystems(free)—This app allows you to customize parameters to your heart’s content, covering around 80 percent of the GA fleet. You can create load sheets with a graph and change seat/cargo arm locations.
- iFly Weight and Balance for iPad (free)—Users can create weight and balance systems for any aircraft, and it begins with a pre-set starting weight. From there, you just add passengers, baggage, takeoff fuel, and landing fuel, and you’re good to go!
- Sporty’s Aviation Weight & Balance iPad/iPhone App ($9.99)—This app allows users to build unique aircraft or make use of a pre-defined template library covering more than 160 aircraft. It handles U.S. and metric measurements and alerts you when you’ve exeeded limitations.
- Appventive Weight and Balance Calculator ($9.99)—This one’s only for our friends on the Android platform. It handles U.S. and metric measurements, supports avgas and Jet-A fuel, does load balancing, and allows you to share reports via email.
If you have any iPad/iPhone/Android apps you think I should review in the upcoming months, please pass them along to me here. I’d love to see more from our Android users!
December 4, 2012