Lesson 1: Introductory Flight
Dual—ground: 1.0, flight 0.5
Objective: Introduce student to preflight inspection, flight in a light aircraft, and the four fundamentals of aircraft control.
- Fitness for flight (IM SAFE)
- Positive exchange of flight controls
- Required certificates and documents for pilot and aircraft
- Airplane logbooks and required inspections
- Aircraft fuel system
- Aircraft electrical system
- Location of emergency equipment
- Use of checklists
- Weather briefing basics
- Starting procedures
- Radio communications
- Before takeoff check
- Normal and crosswind takeoff and climb
- Effect and use of primary flight controls and trim
- Collision avoidance procedures
- Parking and securing aircraft
- Display understanding of aircraft systems, use of checklists, preflight, and postflight procedures
- Demonstrate understanding of aircraft control
Suggested student homework assignments:
Read Chapter 3 of the Airplane Flying Handbook.
As originally published in September 2008 edition of Flight Training magazine.