January 28, 2010
By AOPA ePublishing staff
The South Dakota Aeronautics Commission voted unanimously Jan. 26 to relieve local governments of some of the cost of Airport Improvement Program (AIP) projects by increasing the state contribution.
The federal government chips in 95 percent of the cost for AIP projects; states and local entities split the remaining 5 percent. South Dakota had contributed 2 percent of the cost of projects, leaving local airport sponsors to shoulder the remaining 3 percent. The aeronautics commission decision increases the state contribution by half, to 3 percent.
AOPA and other organizations had encouraged commissioners to match nearby states’ contribution of 2.5 percent, and the commission vote goes a step further. The increase in state funding comes as a windfall to towns that are struggling to balance budgets during the recession.
“An increase of 1 percent of the total cost may not mean as much to a big city with a commercial airport, but it’s very meaningful to small towns where we have general aviation airports,” said AOPA Central Regional Representative Bill Hamilton. “For the 70 GA airports in South Dakota, this significantly improves their ability to match state and federal funding to get needed infrastructure improvements.”
The AOPA Medical Advisory Board is the latest group to urge quick action on the proposed FAA rule that would allow thousands more pilots to fly without the need for a third class medical certificate.
Mexico has lifted a requirement that pilots of arriving and departing private general aviation flights use a third party provider to file advance passenger information system (APIS) manifests.
The Perlan Project is less than a year away from the first flight of a glider being built to ride waves near the edge of space. While construction continues in Oregon, the team’s pilots are staying proficient in more ordinary aircraft.
VOLUNTEER AT AN AOPA FLY-IN NEAR YOU!
SHARE YOUR PASSION. VOLUNTEER AT AN AOPA FLY-IN. CLICK TO LEARN MORE >>>
VOLUNTEER LOCALLY AT AOPA FLY-IN! CLICK TO LEARN MORE >>>
BE A PART OF THE FLY-IN VOLUNTEER CREW! CLICK TO LEARN MORE >>>