On behalf of AOPA members, lead and direct the development and execution of Association policies and strategies related to advocacy at state and local levels. Manage ongoing programs/initiatives, including airport protection, the Airport Support Network, and programs that promote AOPA’s mission to protect members’ freedom to fly, and to make general aviation accessible and affordable.
- In collaboration with the SVP of Government Affairs and the AOPA Leadership Team, develop AOPA policies and implement effective advocacy strategies on broad national or precedent setting airport and state issues. This will often include the need to coordinate the involvement and support of other AOPA resources, including federal legislative and regulatory staff, the communications and media teams, and AOPA’s legal counsel. As necessary, serve as AOPA’s spokesperson on these critical issues.
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership to the Airports and State Advocacy Team. Foster innovation, independent thinking and initiative in a cross-trained team that continues to effectively protect and advance member interests on a variety of airport related issues and state legislative initiatives. Ensure appropriate and timely responses to all member/government/aviation community inquiries.
- Direct and oversee the work of department staff, including seven Regional Managers, Airports and Airport Support Network Team (including volunteers at more than 2000 airports), and the State Legislative Affairs Staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships of trust for AOPA with state elected officials and aviation leaders, appropriate federal agencies, state and local pilot association groups, and other aviation industry leaders and media as appropriate.
- Provide briefings and issues updates and to SVP/Government Affairs, and other AOPA Executive leadership and divisions. Serve as a resource on airport and state issues to the Association’s internal media outlets for inclusion in member communications and to outside media. Represent Association’s interests through public presentations and speeches to aviation and non-aviation communities alike.
- Budget development, oversight and monitoring.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; advanced degree preferred or equivalent.
- At least ten years’ management experience including interacting with diverse personalities.
- Extensive state capitol experience.
- Previous experience in the aviation industry, preferably in general aviation.
- Experience working with state and local government agencies.
- Aviation-savvy individual with knowledge and understanding of general aviation issues.
- Extensive knowledge of Federal airport programs and airport issues.
- Knowledge of and experience with FAA airport rules and regulations.
To apply for this position with Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) please click on Apply Now.
AOPA offers a comprehensive benefits package that reflects how much we care about our employees. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement; short-term and long-term disability; life and AD&D insurance; flexible spending accounts; tuition reimbursement; a wellness program; flexibility in work hours; and paid holidays.
And ... although not all AOPA employees are pilots, we offer the opportunity for our employees to obtain a private pilot certificate for free. We also provide continued assistance to help employees maintain their flight proficiency.
AOPA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.