1. As long as a lifting action is present, a thunderstorm can form in dry or moist air.
2. The three stages of a thunderstorm are _____.
Single-cell, multicell, and super- cell
Stratus, cumulonimbus, and anvil
Cumulus, mature, and dissipating
3. Lightning always occurs with a thunderstorm.
4. If hail is present in a thunderstorm, you can rely on the nearest automated weather station to report it.
5. Embedded thunderstorms are uniquely hazardous because they are _____.
Surrounded by other clouds and are not easily seen
Often strong, severe and move quickly
A cluster of thunderstorms in various stages
6. If flying in the vicinity of a weakening thunderstorm, a pilot should be most concerned about _____.
Heavy rain showers
Frequent ground lightning
7. Thunderstorms produce wind shear along _____ of a thunderstorm.
The upwind side
The downwind side
8. Bright lightning is the best way to identify a thunderstorm at night.
9. If you accidentally fly into a thunderstorm, what should you do?
Maintain altitude and increase airspeed to get through the thunderstorm more quickly.
Immediately execute a 20-degree bank, decrease airspeed and reverse course to exit the thunderstorm.
Attempt to maintain a level attitude and maintain a cruise airspeed below maneuvering speed (VA).
10. ATC's main responsibility is to provide _____.
Pilots with hazardous weather advisories
Separation between VFR aircraft
Separation between IFR aircraft