Safe shopping tips help protect your identity
The holidays are upon us. And while it's the season of giving, make sure you're not giving more than you bargained for. As you know, retail transactions require your sensitive information. From credit card numbers and ATM PINs to home addresses and more, every checkout can leave your personal information vulnerable.
Here are eight easy ways you can shop smart and help keep your identity safe this holiday season:
- Be aware of your surroundings and protect personal space at the ATM and registers.
- Inspect ATMs and points of sale terminals and look for tampering before swiping cards.
- Keep cards in sight when paying to deter dishonest cashiers.
- Store all receipts and closely check your monthly statements to verify transactions.
- Be sure your anti-virus software is installed properly and up to date.
- Shop with retailers whom you trust and who have a positive Better Business Bureau rating.
- Avoid links. Instead, visit shopping sites by directly typing in their website addresses.
- Don't purchase items while using public computers or shared wireless networks.
When you're shopping smart this holiday season, don't forget LifeLock. It’s a gift that gives year round, and when it comes to the people you care about most, there's no better gift than peace of mind. Visit LifeLock today and give them the protection they deserve.
Plus, a portion of all revenue generated will be returned to AOPA and reinvested to support the association’s daily efforts to maintain the freedom, safety, and affordability of general aviation.
December 14, 2010