The manager of the High School Aviation Initiative is responsible for providing strategic direction and oversight for multiple projects and activities within AOPA’s high school initiative. S/he is responsible for assisting with communications to teachers and administrators, assisting with professional development and planning and coordinating resources and assistance through volunteer committees. In addition to helping ensure effective and efficient program delivery, the manager also plays a key role in program evaluation and tracking.
The mission of AOPA's High School Aviation Initiative is to help build and sustain aviation-based, high school STEM programs to provide a quality workforce to the aviation and aerospace industries.
The manager of the high school aviation initiative reports to the AOPA Senior Director of the High School Aviation Initiative in Frederick, MD.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with the development and execution of the core focuses of the high school program including but not limited to:
- AOPA High School Aviation Symposium
- Planning, scheduling, and providing teacher professional development
- Recruiting and assisting high schools to implement AOPA aviation STEM curriculum
- Aviation STEM curriculum development
- Assist with communications to stakeholders to include newsletter, email updates, website content, etc.
- Develop and maintain online aviation teacher community
- Create promotional resources to assist with program implementation in high schools across the country
- Routinely collect and analyze metrics and data that point directly to AOPA’s impact through the high school initiative.
- Manage the high school flight training scholarship program
- Seven+ years of experience in formal education, youth program management, or aviation management. Flight instruction experience highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Pilot certificate highly desirable.
- Experience with high school STEM programs preferred.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse stake-holders, including administrators, teachers, staff members, and community partners.
- Proven track record of executing creative approaches and innovative strategies to promote ideas and advance programs/concepts.
- Experience leading and managing multiple priorities and projects in a fast paced and dynamic working environment
- Experience providing professional development or instruction.
- Strong project and time management skills
- Public speaking experience desired, along with required excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to travel a few times per year
To apply for this position with Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) please click on Apply Now.
AOPA offers a comprehensive benefits package that reflects how much we care about our employees. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement; short-term and long-term disability; life and AD&D insurance; flexible spending accounts; tuition reimbursement; a wellness program; flexibility in work hours; and paid holidays.
And ... although not all AOPA employees are pilots, we offer the opportunity for our employees to obtain a private pilot certificate for free.
We also provide continued assistance to help employees maintain their flight proficiency.
AOPA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.