The AOPA Ambassador in the Texas Triangle (formed by Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin/San Antonio and Houston)will be responsible for promoting and growing AOPA’s pilot community development programs (Flying Clubs initiative, Flight Training initiative, Rusty Pilots program, Reimagined Aircraft). Through these programs, the Ambassador will ultimately help pilots and future pilots take advantage of more affordable ways to fly, find easier entry points into aviation, and become part of a more connected GA community. The Ambassador position is part of the You Can Fly initiative, which is designed to improve the general aviation experience for all types of current and future pilots. AOPA believes the Ambassador will play a key and fundamental role in inviting and inspiring more people to become active participants in the general aviation community.
This position reports to the AOPA Senior Director, Pilot Community Development based in Frederick, MD.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Work on a daily basis directly with flying clubs and flight schools. The Ambassador will:
- Ensure clubs and schools have the resources and help they need from AOPA to be successful in keeping pilots engaged in our community and building new pilots
- Connect clubs and schools with one another to share best practices
- Provide connections back to subject matter experts at AOPA headquarters and within the industry who will help them clear their biggest hurdles
- Inform and encourage ways to make flying more affordable
- Utilize pilot community development program resources, AOPA headquarters expertise, marketing assistance, and other resources as needed to support the growth, development and impact of AOPA’s four main pilot community development programs (Flying Clubs initiative, Flight Training initiative, Rusty Pilots program, Reimagined Aircraft).
- Travel as necessary via 152 Reimagined Aircraft to selectively participate in community activities such as fly-ins, airshows, airport days, pancake breakfasts, etc., and make presentations.
- Engage on a daily basis with flying clubs, flight schools, high schools, and airports throughout the Texas Triangle.
- Work with select high school and college programs to encourage young people to pursue careers and interests in aviation.
- Provide quarterly reports to include progress on annual goals; engagement with flying clubs, flight schools, high schools and other groups; flight time; and other pertinent metrics.
- Provide and coordinate all AOPA internal relationships necessary to support the program, including but not limited to internal production request coordination, online content management, schedule monitoring, and budget tracking.
- Serve as a spokesperson for AOPA in the Texas Triangle.
- Ten + years of industry experience in an aviation related position
- Proven track record of executing creative approaches and innovative strategies in order to promote ideas and advance programs/concepts.
- Prior success in developing strong external and internal collaborative relationships
- Experience managing multiple priorities and projects in a fast paced and dynamic working environment
- Pilot Certificate and current FAA flight medical required - CFI highly desirable
- Strong project and time management skills
- Public speaking experience required along with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to travel 3-4 days per week around the Texas Triangle.
- Ability to work independently while collaborating with colleagues based on the East Coast and nationwide.
To apply for this position with Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) please click on Apply Now. AOPA offers a comprehensive benefits package that reflects how much we care about our employees. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement; short-term and long-term disability; life and AD&D insurance; flexible spending accounts; tuition reimbursement; a wellness program; flexibility in work hours; and paid holidays.
And ... although not all AOPA employees are pilots, we offer the opportunity for our employees to obtain a private pilot certificate for free. We also provide continued assistance to help employees maintain their flight proficiency.
AOPA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.