Piper Aircraft Factory Fly-Out
Fly to Vero Beach Regional Airport (KVRB) for a fun, educational tour of Piper Aircraft’s only manufacturing location and the original home of the Piper Cherokee. Tie down right at the factory, and experience firsthand how a roll of sheet metal is transformed into an airplane.
Piper has arranged two tour times just for AOPA Fly-In guests: 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Each tour accommodates up to 30 participants, divided into groups of 10. The tour lasts two hours.
Whether you’re attending the earlier or the later tour, everyone is invited to join us for lunch at 12:30 p.m., courtesy of Piper.
If you’re taking the 10:00 a.m. tour, meet in the lobby by 9:45 a.m. If you’re planning on the 1:30 p.m. tour but not joining us for lunch, be in the lobby by 1:15 p.m.
What better way to celebrate Piper Aircraft’s 80th anniversary, see how William T. Piper’s dream became a reality, and appreciate how his vision lives on today than to spend the day touring his factory!
- Children must be at least 10 years old.
- Attendees must have valid ID.
- All participants must be escorted at all times.
- No photography of any kind is permitted on Piper property.
- The release or disclosure of any Piper Aircraft, Inc. proprietary information in any manner is strictly forbidden.
- Safety glasses will be provided for the tour and must be worn in designated areas. No sunglasses are permitted to be worn inside the factory at any time.
- Hearing protection will also be provided and will be worn in high-noise areas.
- You must be able to walk a significant amount for a period of 60-90 minutes.
- Only closed-toe shoes and heels less than 1.5 inches high are permitted. Comfortable shoes such as sneakers or other non-slip shoes are suggested. Guests not meeting the dress code for shoes may not enter the manufacturing area.
- Company policy prohibits bringing any of the following into the factory:
- Weapons of any kind, including firearms
- Video recording devices
- Tobacco (Piper is a smoke-free facility)
||First tour group (30 max) assembles in the lobby – divided into groups of 10
||First tour begins (2 hours)
||Lunch is served
||Second tour group assembles in the lobby
||Second tour begins
||Second tour ends
Be sure to make it back to Peter O. Knight airport in Tampa (KTPF) in time to join us for the AOPA Barnstormer’s Party, presented by Jeppesen, at 6:00 p.m.!
Register by September 1, 2017. Each tour is limited to 30 participants.
MacDill Air Force Base
Friday, October 27
Join us on an exciting and rare tour of MacDill Air Force Base, where the primary mission is Combat Communications: deployment, operations, and maintenance of strategic emergency communications anywhere in the world in both peacetime and combat environments.
You’ll receive a mission briefing upon arrival, followed by lunch in the cafeteria (cash only). MacDill is an active base, so what you’ll see of the base depends on mission needs at the time, but you’ll get to tour at least some of the following areas: KC-135 static display, Military Working Dogs, Explosive Ordinance Disposal, Survival, and/or Air Crew Equipment.
MacDill AFB is home to the 6th Air Mobility Wing, the 310th Airlift Squadron flying the C-37, and the 91st Air Refueling Squadron flying the KC-135, augmented by the Air Force Reserve Command's 927th Air Refueling Wing and 63d Air Refueling Squadron flying the same KC-135s. MacDill is also home to the headquarters for two of the U.S. military's joint warfighting combatant commands: Headquarters, United States Central Command (USCENTCOM), and Headquarters, United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).
- Limit: 38 attendees (first come, first served)
- Handicap accessible: No
- Age Limit: 13+
- Must be a U.S. citizen with valid ID (e.g. driver’s license, military ID)
- Wear comfortable shoes.
||Meet at AOPA Tickets & Info Tent for charter bus
||Tour begins with mission briefings (Wing, CENTCOM, SOCOM)
||Lunch onsite in the cafeteria (cash only)
||Tour of various areas of the base (subject to change based on mission needs)
||Tour concludes, board bus back to Peter O. Knight
||Be sure to pre-register for the best AOPA party all year, the Barnstormer’s Party, presented by Jeppesen,