Writes, edits, and coordinates the delivery of high-quality, compelling, and engaging aviation safety educational material for the AOPA Air Safety Institute (ASI) in support of its mission to improve general aviation safety through industry-leading research, education, and outreach.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Writes engaging and compelling video scripts for accident case studies, real pilot stories, safety videos, documentaries, and more.
- Writes safety-related articles and product stories for various channels including the Air Safety Institute’s website, newsletters, marketing emails, and AOPA magazines.
- Writes and edits content for the Air Safety Institute’s in-person and online flight instructor renewal courses.
- Manages the Air Safety Institute’s outreach and product tracking calendars to determine which ASI products and other areas of safety-related interests should be covered in various publications and other outlets.
- Researches subject matter for added credibility and persuasiveness.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Minimum Sport or Private Pilot certificate; instrument rating or flight instructor certificate preferred.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or related fields. Professional experience may substitute for a degree.
- Demonstrated skills as a creative and innovative writer with ability to conceptualize, script, and tell engaging stories using styles that attract new audiences.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, focused environment while working on multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrates initiative, punctuality, teamwork, dependability, and accepts constructive feedback with a positive attitude.
- Self-starter who seeks opportunities for ongoing professional development.
- Willingness to travel to various aviation events as a representative of AOPA.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Preferences: Photography, video filming and post-production editing.
To apply for this position with Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) please click on Apply Now. AOPA offers a comprehensive benefits package that reflects how much we care about our employees. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement; short-term and long-term disability; life and AD&D insurance; flexible spending accounts; tuition reimbursement; a wellness program; flexibility in work hours; and paid holidays.
And ... although not all AOPA employees are pilots, we offer the opportunity for our employees to obtain a private pilot certificate for free. We also provide continued assistance to help employees maintain their flight proficiency.
AOPA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.