AOPA's first regional fly-in of 2014 kicks off April 26 in San Marcos, Texas. Here are 10 tips to look forward to the day of the fly-in.
1. Free admission to a day full of seminars, static displays, live entertainment, and more.
2. Free lunch for AOPA members. No such thing, you say? It’s true. We’ll provide the hot dogs and hamburgers; you bring the appetite. Please RSVP.
3. Meet Mark. AOPA President Mark Baker and other key leaders from AOPA will be on hand to answer your questions and listen to your concerns and ideas.
4. Friendly tower controllers who know how to work lots of traffic. San Marcos Municipal’s tower opened in 2010, and since that time the air traffic controllers have cut their teeth on such high-volume events as the Redbird Migration Flight Training Conference and Redbird Skyport’s $1-a-gallon avgas promotion. They’re ready to welcome you.
5. See the B-25 Mitchell Yellow Rose. The Commemorative Air Force Central Texas Wing’s 1943 hangar will be open, and you can view the historic aircraft at no charge, or even purchase a ride on the B-25 Mitchell.
6. Tour Redbird Skyport. You’ve heard about this innovative flight school that uses cutting-edge simulator technology to train pilots in a shorter amount of time. See the equipment and meet the people behind the ideas that are changing the way pilots learn to fly.
7. Classic cars (and new ones). The CAF Centex Wing’s annual Casino Night is April 26, held in conjunction with a Classic Car Show. Some 200 classic and new vehicles will be on display.
8. Plenty of ramp space. No landing fees.
9. Services galore. With two fixed-base operators (Berry Aviation and Redbird Skyport), four A&P mechanics, an avionics shop, and even a paint shop, San Marcos Municipal has ample services in the event your aircraft should require some attention while you’re at the fly-in.
10. Be the first. AOPA is rolling out six regional fly-ins this year, plus our Homecoming Fly-In on Oct. 4 as we celebrate the association’s seventy-fifth anniversary. Be among the first to check out our new approach to connecting with our members, and let us know what you think.