A pilot’s quest to understand a small but haunting critical mistake he made as PIC—and help others avoid similar errors—led to the development of the Air Safety Institute’s most-viewed new product of 2012.
Tens of thousands of pilots learned about the insidious effects of stress through the Air Safety Institute’s No Greater Burden a sobering look at the grave consequences of a relatively small error. The institute’s other popular educational products included a pilot’s first-person account of an unexpected descent through clouds; resources about the dangers of thunderstorms; and a look at what a few minutes’ delay in weather data can mean for a pilot flying in the vicinity of storms. Did you miss any of these educational multimedia products?
- No Greater Burden . This video looks at one pilot’s tragedy, the devastation it wrought, and the lessons all of us can take from it.
- Real Pilot Story: Trapped on Top . When clouds closed in below him, a pilot who was not instrument current found himself dealing with an unexpected IFR descent—and then lost his engine.
- Ask ATC: Storm Week . What can ATC do for you en route if there are thunderstorms? In this video, a controller gives advice to pilots.
- Accident Case Study: Time Lapse . This re-creation takes an in-depth look at a fatal accident involving a delay in Nexrad in-cockpit weather.
- Real Pilot Story: Ambushed by Ice . Climb in the right seat as this pilot recounts his unexpected struggle in ice-filled clouds that nearly brought down his Cessna 182.
- Storm Week recorded webcast . Learned about thunderstorms, and how cockpit weather and ATC can help you, in this recorded webcast that debuted during Storm Week.
- Ask ATC: Assigned Runway . Does a student pilot have to accept the assigned runway? ATC provides insight in this video.
- Ask ATC: Student Pilots . Should a student pilot advise ATC upon initial contact that he or she is a student? A controller answers the question in this video.
- Safety Quiz: Thunderstorms . How much do you know about thunderstorms? Test your knowledge with this 10-question quiz.
- Runway Flash Cards . Pilots can brush up on runway safety with this set of flash cards.
These safety programs were made possible by generous donations from pilots like you.