Thanks to the generosity of the Ray Foundation, 80 exceptional high school students, ages 15 to 18, each will receive a $10,000 scholarship in 2019. This scholarship program is a component of the AOPA You Can Fly program, a collection of initiatives working towards building a larger, more vibrant pilot community.
These scholarship awards are a major benefit of AOPA membership, helping members reach their goals and advance into the aviation and aerospace careers they have always dreamed about.
Scholarship recipients will be able to use the money for direct flight training expenses to pursue a primary pilot certificate. They must also complete a flight training milestone, achieving either solo or earning a primary pilot certificate, within one year of receiving a scholarship.
Applications open January 4, 2019, and close at 11:59 p.m., EDT on April 2, 2019. .
Before You Apply
Here are a few things to have handy when you’re completing your application:
- High school transcript
- Contact information for both your references
- A list of school and non-school related clubs and organizations in which you have participated since your freshman year, as well as any corresponding leadership positions (particularly those that are aviation related)
- A list of honors and awards that you have received when participating in clubs and organizations
- A list of volunteer organizations in which you participate, plus any awards and honors that you have received for your participation since freshman year (particularly those that are aviation related)
- Your pilot logbook (if you have one)
Read Our Scholarship Eligibility Requirements and FAQs
We strongly encourage you to read the eligibility requirements and frequently asked questions before completing your application.