There are lots of reasons to attend the AOPA Fly-In Aug. 16 at Spokane's Felts Field (SFF) and a clever little food truck called Shameless Sausages is just one of them. Ten food trucks will be on site to serve up everything from those shameless sausages to pizza, hot dogs, and Thai food.
Here are the top 10 reasons to attend the fourth 2014 AOPA Fly-In in Spokane, Washington.
1. Speakers galore. We've added five new speakers to the education-packed lineup. The seminars are "Say It Right: Radio Communication Done Right" with Andy Miller; "How Healthy is Your Engine" with Mike Busch; "Stall/Spin Awareness" with Bruce Williams; "What Is ADS-B" with Brad Brunson; "Avoid Useless Maintenance" with Mike Busch; "Flying Companion Intro" with the local chapter of The Ninety-Nines; "Thinking Small to Avoid Big Mistakes" with Rod Machado; "Flying to Alaska" with Tom George; and "Starting and Building a Flying Club" with Jeff Fouche and Danny Mencke.
2. Face time with Mark Baker. AOPA President Mark Baker will present his Pilot Town Hall at 2:45 p.m. He will happily answer questions from the audience—no topic is off limits.
3. Pemberton and Sons Aviation. Visit the two hangars of this amazing restoration business on the south end of the field.
4. Spokane Turbine Center. Tour this beautifully renovated hangar complex on the field, which houses both the Spokane Turbine Center and Moody Aviation training center.
5. EAA Chapter 79. The clubhouse is open! Join the active Experimental Aircraft Association members in their delightfully appointed clubhouse and meeting area.
6. Kodiak 100. In addition to the many aircraft on display, see the Spokane Turbine Center's Kodiak 100.
7. 116th Squadron. See the squadron's insignia—the ace of spades with a dagger through it—on the original hangar.
8. Pancakes! Join EAA Chapter 79 and AOPA staff serving all the pancakes you can eat starting at 8:30 a.m.
9. Skyway Cafe. Heaping plates of delicious diner food will be for sale in the old terminal building.
10. Ten food trucks. Get your lunch ticket at the welcome tent for lunch at Shameless Sausages, Auggie's Drivin Diner, The Bistro Box, 3 Ninjas, Bubbadogz Hot Dog Cart, Thai Lunch Box, Nordic Smoke, The Pizza Truck, Tacos Camargo, or Taza Mediterranean.