Driftwood Beach on Jekyll Island, Georgia, beckons to pilots based out of nearby Southeastern airports. The island is about a two-hour general aviation aircraft flight from Atlanta; Columbia, South Carolina; and Montgomery, Alabama. Photo by David Tulis.
If you use the AOPA app’s Pilot Passport feature to check in at airports as you travel, you could be entered in the Winter Getaway Challenge for a chance to win a 2020 Bahamas Pilot Guide or Caribbean Pilot Guide print package.
In January, fly and check in at airports in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana. The three participants with the most airport check-ins will win.
In February, the winners will be the three users with the most airport check-ins in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
Need some ideas for your getaway? Here are 10 destinations from our travel writers—you’ll not only get ideas for what to see and do, and where to stay and eat, but also where to fly in and tie down for your vacation!
- Be a beach bum on Florida’s Paradise Coast or along 32 miles of beaches at Galveston Island, Texas;
- Eat your way through Florida’s best airport restaurants (yum!);
- Bike, swim, go horseback riding, and more at the “go to” beach for affordable family vacations in the South—Jekyll Island, Georgia;
- Go back in history and see if you could qualify to become a World War II paratrooper at Camp Toccoa in Georgia;
- Enjoy culinary experiences and the bayou in St. Tammany Parish, nicknamed Louisiana’s Northshore;
- Ski, tour a desert museum, or take in the Gem and Mineral Show (make those check-ins count toward prizes in February) in Tucson, Arizona;
- Glamp out in Texas;
- Explore Palo Duro Canyon in Texas, the nation’s second-largest canyon;
- Stargaze at Borrego Springs, California, an international dark sky community; or
- Get up close and personal with bats while spelunking in Carlsbad, New Mexico.