Aviation is often in focus when concerns about possible terrorist attacks are elevated. There are several things GA pilots can do to help keep aviation safe. They include:
- Taking or retaking AOPA’s online General Aviation Security course;
- Participating in AOPA’s Airport Watch program, a comprehensive set of proven measures to secure the country’s GA aircraft and airports from potential acts of terror.
- Keeping aircraft and hangar doors securely locked, and following other security practices for pilots.
- Extending your security awareness to cyber threats by being aware of suspicious emails, phone calls, texts, and messages sent through social media.
- Reporting any suspicious activity to local law enforcement or to Airport Watch (866-GA-SECURE), as appropriate.