Already a member? Please login below for an enhanced experience. Not a member? Join today
Menu

Wisconsin declares 'Aviation Week' as AirVenture kicks offWisconsin declares 'Aviation Week' as AirVenture kicks off

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker used the start of the 2012 EAA AirVenture airshow to proclaim the week of July 23 through 29 as “Aviation Week.”

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation and the Transportation Development Association of Wisconsin (TDA) are teaming up to promote, educate, and celebrate the state’s aviation industry.

“Air transportation plays a vital role in Wisconsin,” said Department of Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb. “Travelers and businesses alike rely on the aviation industry every day, which in turn benefits Wisconsin’s overall economy.”

Wisconsin’s aviation system includes nearly 730 landing facilities—133 of which are public-use airports. Approximately 70 percent of general aviation operations are business related, while the other 30 percent are recreational, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

“Wisconsin’s aviation industry supports more than 41,000 jobs,” said TDA Executive Director Craig Thompson. “Those jobs generate nearly $3 billion in annual economic activity and more than $1 billion in personal income.”

Topics: Advocacy, Aviation Industry, Aviation Organizations

Related Articles